Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mortal Kombat

I have touched on various topics on here that would suggest that I am, in fact, fairly dorky. I have no problem with that. I still like various aspects of my childhood, such as cartoons (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.), action movies, comic books, and video games. I don't care what you think b/c I like these things and I'm sure you, the reader, have some dorky skeletons playing Dungeons and Dragons in your closet right now. But, let's hope that none of us are as much of a loser as any of the three losers pictured.

I loved playing all video games, but growing up especially, I loved fighting games. They allowed you to test your mettle, talk shit, and beat up your friends in a safe environment that wouldn't find you grounded or in children jail. One of my favorites was Mortal Kombat.

Mortal Kombat was legendary and ground-breaking at its release. Never had a game come sprinting out of the gates, unabashedly full of bloody swagger and bravado. The game was immediately dubbed to be harmful for children due to the fatalities that were performed at the end of each match, as well as the rampant use of gore and titillating costumes. Mortal Kombat was discussed in Congress, used as a anti-decency campaign by uptight Moms, and heralded by gamers across the world. The game has sold millions and millions of copies. In article by Examiner.com, the Mortal Kombat series was ranked number 2, second only to God of War III, on the most beautiful deaths in gaming, stating, "You have to give the game that got the whole world interested in video games a mention. Besides featuring awesome death sequences, this was also the title that got the American government to take a stand against the gaming industry. Thanks to Mortal Kombat, we have the ESRB now to tell us if a game is safe for children, teens, or if only adults should play. Cheers to you, Mortal Kombat." The game is also responsible for giving us some cool techno music, developing the use of live action character sprites for gameplay (as opposed to the standard computer-generated characters), and some pretty shitty movie adaptations. However, the final point appears to be changing.

This movie trailer is apparently a director's odd (read: visionary) way of pitching Warner Bros. on his idea for a new Mortal Kombat film. Personally, I think it's genius. I would definitely be interested in seeing this new version of the movie. Onward, U.S.S. Guilty Pleasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fancy a Gander?

Followers