Friday, June 18, 2010

i got your name tattooed inside of my arm

Happy Friday, everyone. For this Friday's music, I have turned to a band that has been on my radar for some time now, but that I am just now getting into. The band is The Gaslight Anthem. Let me tell you, I've dipped my toes in the water and I've jumped into the pool.

The Gaslight Anthem hails from New Brunswick, New Jersey, which I was only familiar with prior for being the home of the New Jersey Nets. However, upon hearing lead singer, Brian Fallon's voice, visions of New Jersey (the cool parts...yes, there are cool parts) instantly scroll through your mind. Why, you ask? Well, it has a lot to do with the very Bruce Springsteenian, Boss-like voice that roars and scratches from Fallon's mouth and melodies.

The latest offering from The Gaslight Anthem, American Slang, is the band's third studio album. I must admit, aside from a few songs here and there, this is the first entire disc that I have listened to from them. I couldn't be more impressed. Every single song is the perfect music for driving down the highway at high speeds, windows down, with no particular destination in sight. The lyrics match the music as if there was a prearranged marriage of words and tones. Fallon has quoted as much: "All these songs came to me in my head. I didn't sit down at the guitar or piano or write lyrics, they all just were kind of there one day."


Well, there it is. Reader, whoever you are, I implore you to check out this band. I haven't been this excited over discovering new music in quite some time. Enjoy!








I wasn't able to find a non-live version for the song, but that's actually better sometimes. Also, if your interest has been piqued or whetted, then here is the entire album available on stream:

http://player.play.it/player/player.html?v=5.0.44&id=32418

http://whfs.radio.com/2010/06/15/full-album-stream-gaslight-anthem-american-slang/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fancy a Gander?

Followers