Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sean Taylor: How This Ends...

I am more than ready for football season to begin. I'm ready for the cooler crisp weather, the excuse to drink beer with your friends on Sunday afternoons, always being able to talk shit to other teams, the annual optimism and hope, favorite players, any excuse to wear a football jersey...I could go on and on. However, right around the time that training camp starts (t-minus 2 weeks), there is a melancholy reminder that one of, if not THE, greatest player I have ever seen is no longer with us.

Sean Taylor died at the age of 27 in 2007 as a result of a gunshot wound he suffered while intruders broke into his home. Sean died protecting his family with a machete, chasing after the intruders while one of them shot back blindly at him. I take solace in the fact that he died in the manner that he played: as a warrior.

I won't get into this too much, at least right now, but it is a strange feeling deeply missing a stranger. However, especially after watching the ESPY's last night and finding myself crying at certain parts, it is easy to see the impact that sports have on our lives. I deeply miss watching Sean Taylor play football. I also truly believe that we were lucky to have been able to watch one of the greatest players ever play the game we love. There is no doubt in my mind that Sean Taylor would have been the greatest safety to ever play the game of football. No one can ever convince me otherwise.

Here is the best tribute video that I have ever seen about Sean. I can't wait until that opening kickoff.



(Interesting to see at 4:40. Sean sacks Donovan McNabb in college).

R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fancy a Gander?

Followers